Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hello from Cáceres!


I MADE IT!!!!

The aircraft was a little late coming to JFK so we didn't get to board the plane on time.. and then the weather started up again... it started sleeting. So we had to wait in line to get deiced which took about an hour and a half since there were three planes in front of us. So we took off about 2 hours late but at least we took off this time! I got to Madrid and my host mom, Lola, sent a friend of hers that lives in Madrid to pick me up. His name was Jose Antonio and he didn't speak a word on English so that was... interesting... to say the least. He was very, VERY helpful though. I wouldn't have been able to do it without him. He rode the train with me to the bus station, bought me lunch, and made sure I got on the bus safely. I had the most delicious tuna sandwich for lunch by the way... it had little raisin things in it and nuts I think? It was weird pero muy delicioso! After my 4 hour trip to Caceres by bus, Lola, Claire, and Elizabeth (another girl living with Lola who is studying abroad through a different program with her college in Michican) picked me up at the bus station.


Cafe con leche
We went to Lola's "pisa" (flat apartment) which has four bedrooms so it's pretty big. I took a shower and then we ate dinner. We had fish and some sort of vegetable medley. The fish looked pretty gross - it was as if Lola had gone fishing and cooked them right after she got them - you could even see where their eyes were! The vegetable medley had squash and beans and it was wonderful. We also have bread with every meal, and fruit after every meal.

Even though I was exhausted, I decided to go out after dinner with Claire to meet our group. I got to meet 15 of the 19 students and I'm glad that I decided to go out because our group is so much fun! We went out for coffee beforehand, and I had my first "cafe con leche" in Spain. Then we went to the concert which was more of a one man band in a small bar, but it was still fun! Today I slept until 2:30. I probably would have slept even late but they woke me up for lunch which was a good thing. We had "paella" which was rice with seafood - shrimp, clams, and muscles. I love shrimp, but this shrimp was like the fish from last night. We had to rip off the head and juice came out... disgusting. Then we had to peel off the legs - and my mom knows how much I don't like peeling off the legs in the United States... so you can only imagine how I felt ripping off the head. Today was the first time that I had both clams and muscles; I enjoyed the clams, but NOT the muscles.

Postre chocolate
After lunch, I got to Skype a little bit with my dad, took a shower, and then Claire and I met three other girls and we explored the city together for a couple of hours. We went to "la ciudad antigua" which is the old city and it was amazing! We had so much fun together, too. We stopped at a cafe to have a little dessert - not sure what they were called but it was some pastry filled with chocolate... yum!

Tonight we are having "Spanish hamburger" for dinner. (Made with chicken instead of beef). Tomorrow we are meeting the group at 10 and taking the bus to Universidad de Extremadura! After classes, we plan on doing a little shopping... maybe buy some cute boots. ;) 

Hasta luego!



2 comments:

  1. Shea,
    I finally had a little time to catch up on your blog. I'm so glad you finally made it to Spain. What an ordeal! Don't you just love when they tell you they are fixing the plane.

    Sounds like you are getting acclimated to Spain. I've loved looking at your pictures. I've grown to love fish, but would not like to see fish eyes looking back at me. At least the sushi we had recently didn't involve eyes or tearing off heads and legs. I'm sure you will continue to do just fine and will grow to like many of the things your encounter!

    I'm loving your blog! Have you blogged before or is this your first? I may share it with my niece. She's a senior in High School and looking at colleges. She's been accepted at ISU, but feels it is too big. She has loved taking Spanish in High School and plans to be a HS Language Arts teacher. I'd love for her to go to my Alma mater! Maybe your blog will inspire her!

    I haven't heard if it is okay to send Flat Stanley to you. Hope to hear soon. I've taken a ton of picture of him and need to get a little booklet/diary put together! He enjoyed the Winter Games at Okoboji! The frozen lake baffles me every time I go there. So odd to be walking ON the lake, where I boated in the summer.

    Anxious to hear more of your adventures! How are classes? Did you find some cute boots!

    Cafe con leche looks WONDERFUL!

    Adios,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! Of course you can share the blog with your niece. I hope she decides to go to ISU! It does seem a little big, and it just keeps growing, but I'm so glad I decided to go there! It's really not as big as some people make it seem. Plus, I absolutely love the education program they have there! I also hope she continues her Spanish!

    I'm anxious to hear if I can show Flat Stanley around! That would be so much fun!

    I've always wanted to go to Winter Games but haven't made it there yet! I was going to go this year but I had to leave 2 days before it started. I have a friend from high school who goes every year.. her fiance actually did the polar plunge this year!

    Classes are going well so far! I'll write more about them in my next post.. but I really like all of my professors! And yes..... I got some cute boots! Well, not tall boots but they're next on my list. ;)

    ReplyDelete